Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Grand Opening / Studio Warming

Photo by John Stephen Hockensmith


I suppose the easiest way to start this post would be to say that our Grand Opening was a big success. We had a great turnout and I lost count of the people who came up to genuinely say that they had enjoyed the evening. The food and wine were good and the music was top-shelf. So by that measure, yes it was most certainly a success. But I found myself wondering about that word, “success” and what it means when I attach it to this gathering, so I want to try and frame it into words.

The lead up to the event has been work on top of work and I think Karine and I have been caught up in that part of it so much that it took me a little bit to be able to step back and focus. It wasn’t until about halfway through when I looked around and it hit me that I was surrounded by people who were here, not because of obligation but because they wanted to be with us at this place and moment in time. They were here completely of their own will to be a part of a very exciting and slightly scary step in our lives. And because we'd shared our craft with the Sollee family, Ben was now in turn here sharing his craft with us, filling the studio with his living hands and voice so much that it seemed to roll out the bay doors and up against the sunset.

All of this swirled around in my head and it made me think that the idea of something being a success is not met in any material or measurable way, but by how many people one meaningfully touches and whether or not, in the end, we leave the world a little better than we found it. And it is each and every one of you who came out to where we make both our living and our lives that have touched us and given back more than we could have ever imagined. Karine and I were honored and grateful to have each of you here. It was humbling to say the least and your coming together has filled our studio with a warmth that our forges can't hold a candle to.

Sincerely,
Matthew Maynard

1 comment:

  1. Very nicely said, Matt. Sorry that I'm not closer, and couldn't be there. Love seeing and reading about your work.
    Gorden Hedahl

    ReplyDelete