Monday, December 5, 2011

For Love & Family

So it looks as though I'm going to have to *suck it up* and FIND $4,000 for two 9100 FX Air systems, if that's what my heart is set on. And I'm okay with that. It's just going to take a while and I'll find something less expensive to keep us going in the meantime.

Over the Thanksgiving holiday at my parents in Wisconsin, Matthew & I installed a basement step hand railing at my Uncle's home in Minnesota. My uncle was caring for his wife (my Aunt) who is in the later stages of Alzheimer's on that particular day, but he insisted he also prepare lunch for Matthew & I and that we bring my Mom & Dad.  I had told my uncle, who is retired from 3M, about the helmet over the phone a week or so earlier. He jokingly told me, "Well, I've been gone from there for many years. But maybe you could make one!". This was a very "much-like-my-uncle" suggestion and it's made me smile.

On this Thanksgiving visit he suggested saving my money and said that maybe each job from here on out have a "Helmet Fee" tacked onto it.  Now this railing we did for my uncle was a small & simple wall mounted handrail, and I had only charged him for the materials.  When he reimbursed me, he laid down another $20 and said, "There, now your fund has started". I spent an extra few minutes touching up the nuts and bolts on the existing railings that we were trying to match and doing a patina on the new railings to make them look worn in like the old ones.  In fact, I put the same care into his railings that I do with all of our clients. And it's with the same love working at my Uncle's that I work in any of our clients' homes.

So just 199 more clients to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment